Want to Join the Skyline
High School Equestrian Team?
- You will need to be available on the following dates:
- 9/09/18 (date to be confirmed yet)
- 9/16/18 (date to be confirmed yet)
- 9/23/18 (date to be confirmed yet)
- 9/28/18-9/30/18 Regionals
- And if we make it to states 10/11/18-10/14/18
- You will need to interview for a position as a groom and try out for a rider position. Tryouts are arranged with the coach after attending an informational meeting.
- You must attend the informational meeting/interview session on Saturday March 3rd @ 10:00 am at Grand Traverse Pie Company on Zeeb Road. Address: 291 N Zeeb Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48103. Please RSVP that you will be attending the meeting to coach Sarah George at:
- If you are a rider you must own or lease a horse from your barn and provide transportation.
- Cost for riders are:
- $75.00- per season to MIHA
- $175.00- coaching fee for riders new to the team (Fundraising should cover that cost during additional years on the team).
- $30.00- Club Sport Fee to Skyline Athletics
- $15.00 per stall per day
- Sawdust bought on your own- usually costs $15.00 or so per day.
- You provide horse food.
- Regionals and States fees average around $125.00- $250.00 per rider, plus lodging (Many costs are offset by fundraising for Regionals/States so this is a worst case scenario).
- Additional Fees- $150.00- mandatory clinic 1 time per year.
- Costs for grooms are:
- $50.00- coaching fee for grooms new to the team (Fundraising should cover that cost during additional years on the team).
- You must have a physical dated after 4/15/2018 and register with Skyline’s high school athletic program (club sport) through PRIVIT.
- PRE-SEASON SHOWING: In order to be considered for the Skyline Equestrian Team, you must compete at 2 or more approved shows in Walk/Trot/Canter classes prior to August 5th, 2018. Competitions will help both you and your horse to be mentally prepared for our team. You should be showing in the same classes that you want to be considered for the team riding that horse. Shows need to be within the calendar year January 1st, 2018 to August 5th, 2018. Form must be signed by show secretary and returned by August 10th, 2018. Each show needs their own report. Failure to compete in 2 approved shows may result in removal from the team.
Approved shows are as follows: 4-H, turn-n-burn (gymkhana riders only), EMAA, LMHA, CMHA, Sho Me the Money, Apple Blossom, Spur of the Moment Horse Shows, and all breed circuit shows.
NO: Warm-and-fuzzy, fun shows or schooling shows… these do not have classes or rules like MIHA. Please ask if your show is acceptable.
- We currently will hold 1 mandatory practice and 1 mandatory clinic. All riders and grooms must attend. New riders may need to schedule additional practice times with the coach.
- New grooms must meet with the coach to pass a safety test if they are not currently taking lessons with another trainer. New grooms may need to take 1-3 lessons to prepare for helping the team with various tasks.
- Both Grooms and Riders are eligible to earn a varsity letter!
- Grooms help manage both riders and horses and are a great part of our team.
- Riders must be open to trying new riding styles outside of their comfort zone. For example, trying Saddle Seat!
- Parents of riders are required to volunteer to help out at events and with team operations.
- There will only be 3 spots for grooms on the team per year.
- The level of our team depends on the number of riders we have. We ask for a strong commitment as once registered, we cannot change our team level and our eligibility for Regionals and State finals will be impacted.
- Rider tryouts will be scheduled after the informational meeting.
- Regular meets are from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm. Riders are there usually by 7 am and the meet end times can vary lasting longer than 3:30 pm.
- Check out more photos and videos of our team! @ https://www.facebook.com/A2SkylineEquestrianTeam/